Please note that I do not allow anonymous comments unless you inform me who you are. I am continuing to allow you to choose the option of anonymous or "Name/URL" so my family and friends with no log-in can leave me comments. If you choose not to be known to the public when you leave a comment, that is fine, but if you don't email me or let me know it was you, it will not be posted.

Muskydines and Scuppendines


With today and yesterday being so cool, I thought I better post this before we forget summer. When I went home to see my grandfather this weekend, I got a nice little surprise. As I was walking up the front walkway at my grandparents' house, I caught this amazing smell. And, it hit me, MUSCADINES! Of course, in the south, it's pronounced "muskydines". I asked my grandmother if she would mind if I stole a few--as in, the entire vine--and, of course, she said no. But, my grandfather, who is talking decently well, most of the time, told me I wanted the scuppernongs, pronounced "scuppendines" for you non-southerners. He was right. They were better than the muscadines, which shouldn't even be possible, since the muscadines were already amazing--heavenly even. It felt like a different time and place while I picked my grocery bag full of muscadines--one without so many problems, one without Obama. I didn't get as many scuppernongs because I was afraid of getting stung (allergic). The vines on the scuppernongs are thicker, and the grapes are hidden more. It was easier to get the muscadines, so I got a lot more of those. I made myself ration the scuppernongs. I'd eat 10 muscadines, and then allow myself a scuppernong. It was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep in mind that I DO moderate my comments. You will NOT be posted if you do not have the balls to leave your name or contact info. Do us all a favor, and don't be a jackass because, really, I deal with enough jackasses everyday.