Please note that I do not allow anonymous comments unless you inform me who you are. I am continuing to allow you to choose the option of anonymous or "Name/URL" so my family and friends with no log-in can leave me comments. If you choose not to be known to the public when you leave a comment, that is fine, but if you don't email me or let me know it was you, it will not be posted.

Why the English Language is so Hard to Learn

OK, this really bugs me. Why is it that two words which are spelled the same are pronounced completely different?

For instance, the word "colonel" is just really f'ed up. "Colonel" is pronounced "kur-nl", but "colonial" is prounounced "kuh-loh-nee-uhl". Why? Where does that "r" even come from?!

But, there are tons of words like that. For instance, there and here are pronounced like we're but not like were. What. The. Hell?!

Am I the only one that is irritated by this? I mean, who came up with this stuff? I'm just saying.

4 comments:

  1. English is a hard language but all languages have their craziness. I tried to learn French once, and I got confused by all the masculine and feminine forms of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been there. I never really understood the whole feminine/masculine thing. But, I thought French was fairly easy to learn. I mean, if I was a French speaker, and someone was trying to teach me English, I'd never get it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so funny! Never know what I will read about on here next! Like the new colors/design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! LOL I am sure everyone is thrilled to death that the election is over. I am sure they are more than tired of hearing me bitch about Obama. I mean, I'll still be bitching about all the stupid shit he does for the next four (Lord, I hope it is only four) years. That is, until he sends me to reconditioning camp. Or I mysteriously disappear. Both of which seem equally possible.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep in mind that I DO moderate my comments. You will NOT be posted if you do not have the balls to leave your name or contact info. Do us all a favor, and don't be a jackass because, really, I deal with enough jackasses everyday.