Please note that I do not allow anonymous comments unless you inform me who you are. I am continuing to allow you to choose the option of anonymous or "Name/URL" so my family and friends with no log-in can leave me comments. If you choose not to be known to the public when you leave a comment, that is fine, but if you don't email me or let me know it was you, it will not be posted.

Another Casualty


Another casualty of the failing economy has fallen before our eyes. The most American beverage symbol since Coke is officially being purchased by the Belgium brewer InBev (pending approval from shareholders and antitrust regulators). It is a sad day for Anheuser-Busch and the lovers of iconic beers, such as Budweiser, Busch, Michelob, and Natural Light (Natty Light...). I am not a big beer drinker, but I realize the depth of this transaction. We are losing a very American company to a very not-American purchase. We will probably lose hundreds of American jobs, not to mention the literal millions of dollars in revenue. I mean, have you seen the number of people holding Anheuser-Busch products at bars, Nascar races, and college football tailgate parties? Not to mention the fact that the InBev chief executive is know for "ruthless cost-cutting". So long Super Bowl ads of yesterday (that, for some, were the real reason for watching the game). It is truly sad that this, too, is becoming just another victim of the laws of business. With child-like innocence we believe some things are just untouchable, and this was one of those things. What's next? Pepsi? Walmart? Ford? Something truly must change before the world's one-time super-power is nothing more than a page in a history book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep in mind that I DO moderate my comments. You will NOT be posted if you do not have the balls to leave your name or contact info. Do us all a favor, and don't be a jackass because, really, I deal with enough jackasses everyday.