Please note that I do not allow anonymous comments unless you inform me who you are. I am continuing to allow you to choose the option of anonymous or "Name/URL" so my family and friends with no log-in can leave me comments. If you choose not to be known to the public when you leave a comment, that is fine, but if you don't email me or let me know it was you, it will not be posted.

"No Appetite"? Good, Starve to Death.

From the Athens-Banner Herald on Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 (click for larger).


Found online here.

"Georgia's lieutenant governor said Monday he opposes loosening the state's concealed-weapons laws this year to allow guns in more public places.

"'Let me be very, very clear. I have no appetite for that,' Casey Cagle told reporters at the state Capitol.

"A state Senate study committee had been looking at expanding the places where Georgians may carry concealed weapons to possibly include churches and university campuses. Last year, lawmakers approved a bill permitting those with permits to carry concealed weapons in state parks, restaurants that serve alcohol and on public transportation. The law, which took effect July 1, spurred a legal battle at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport after gun-rights advocates argued the airport qualified as public transportation. GeorgiaCarry.org is challenging the airport's designation as a 'gun free' zone in federal appeals court. The group lost the first round in U.S. District Court.

"Cagle signaled Monday that he's not interested in a repeat of last year's heated gun battle that put Georgia in the crosshairs of the National Rifle Association, a powerful lobbying force among the state's ruling Republicans.

"'We dealt with this issue last year, and I think people should be content with where we are,' Cagle said.

"The chairman of the study committee on firearms, Sen. Mitch Seabaugh, said he plans to talk to Cagle. But he acknowledged that his opposition probably will make it virtually impossible for a gun bill to move.

"'He has the power to control the agenda,' the Republican from Sharpsburg said.

"Seabaugh said there have been complaints that the state's definition of 'public gatherings' is vague and has left gun owners and law enforcement confused about where guns are legal. He said the state should clarify the provision."

I have a real problem with this. I mean, this guy is basically saying he absolutely refuses to consider any new gun legislation this year. So, all those students and religious worshipers are going to be sitting ducks for quite some time longer. I think this guy is getting a little too liberal for his Republican britches. Even if they don't feel guns belong on college campuses or in churches, Seabaugh is right. The definition of public gathering is too vague. And, it would require gun legislation to correct it. Which Cagle has "no appetite" for. Well, Cagle may have no appetite, but I could sure go for a bite out of his ass come reelection season.

1 comment:

Please keep in mind that I DO moderate my comments. You will NOT be posted if you do not have the balls to leave your name or contact info. Do us all a favor, and don't be a jackass because, really, I deal with enough jackasses everyday.