Please note that I do not allow anonymous comments unless you inform me who you are. I am continuing to allow you to choose the option of anonymous or "Name/URL" so my family and friends with no log-in can leave me comments. If you choose not to be known to the public when you leave a comment, that is fine, but if you don't email me or let me know it was you, it will not be posted.

Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive

Now, if this isn't the coolest coincidence, I don't know what is:
"Sounds like the Bee Gees knew what they were talking about — and were years ahead of medical research.

"The band's iconic 1977 disco anthem 'Stayin' Alive' provides an ideal beat to follow while performing chest compressions as part of CPR on a heart attack victim, U.S. doctors have found.

"The American Heart Association calls for chest compressions to be administered at a rate of 100 per minute during cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or CPR. Ironically, 'Stayin' Alive' chimes in with 103 beats per minute, Reuters reports.

"In a small study headed by Dr. David Matlock of the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, listening to 'Stayin' Alive' helped 15 doctors and medical students to perform chest compressions on dummies at the proper speed, according to the Reuters report.

"'The theme "Stayin' Alive" is very appropriate for the situation,' Matlock told Reuters. 'Everybody's heard it at some point in their life. People know the song and can keep it in their head.'"
Amazing. That song was written long before the study, and just so happens to be titled "Stayin' Alive". Now, I realize there are probably a ton of songs with about 100 beats per minute, but that's just so cool!

1 comment:

  1. Now on the Other Side Of The Coin, the song "Another One Bites The Dust" will also work. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep in mind that I DO moderate my comments. You will NOT be posted if you do not have the balls to leave your name or contact info. Do us all a favor, and don't be a jackass because, really, I deal with enough jackasses everyday.